The eyes are the windows to the soul. Apart from the metaphor, our eyes allow us to see the world around us: our general surroundings and the fine details. Our eyesight helps us choose actions appropriate for the environment. Unfortunately, like other organs of the body, the eyes gradually lose their effectiveness as we age. In fact, deteriorating eyesight is one of the most common problems that patients availing senior care encounter.
There are some steps you can take to maintain optimal vision. We at ClearPath, a leading provider of skilled nursing in Ohio, have some tips on how to manage eye health as you age:
- Exercise to improve circulation and supply much-needed oxygen to the eyes.
- Avoid using electronic devices with screens for too long. If you must be at a screen for extended periods, be sure to blink often, adjust the light of the screen to a lower level, and take breaks every 20 minutes to focus your eyes on objects further away.
- Get plenty of sleep to allow the eyes to self-regulate and clear out irritants and dust.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from harmful UV light. Wearing a wide-brimmed hat also helps to minimize UV rays from reaching your eyes.
- Quit smoking and avoid second-hand smoke which exposes your eyes to oxidative stress.
- Eat a balanced diet. Many nutrients and antioxidants are important to the health of the macula, a part of the eye responsible for central vision. Control your sugar intake to prevent or mitigate the eyesight-detrimental effects of diabetes.
Eye health is just one aspect of overall health that is necessary to maintain a quality of life among seniors. If you or an aging loved has challenges as a result of vision loss, consider our quality home health care services in Akron, Ohio. For more information, or to schedule an appointment, please contact us. You may reach us at 877-892-1568 or send us an email at email@example.com. We’re glad to assist you!